FAQ 1: Is the Comixology app going away?
Nope! Our new Comixology app features flexible filtering and sorting, new book navigation features, faster, more reliable downloads, read-while-downloading, and instant reading on Android devices.
FAQ 2: What can I do to prepare for the new Comixology app update?
To make this as seamless as possible, we recommend you take the following steps:
- Merge your Comixology & Amazon accounts.
- Why do this? The Comixology app upgrade will only accept an Amazon account to login. If you don’t already use an Amazon account to login to Comixology, you will need to merge your Amazon and Comixology accounts (follow the instructions here). Once you merge, your books will be synced. Depending on your library size this may take up to 8 hours. By taking this step now, your library will be synced and accessible as soon as the app updates.
- Ensure your automatic update app setting is enabled.
- How to turn on or turn off automatic updates on your iPhone or iPad
- Go to Settings >> Tap App Store >> Turn on App Updates.
- How to turn on or turn off automatic updates on your Android
- Open the Google Play Store app >> At the top right, tap the profile icon >> Tap Settings Network Preferences: Auto-update apps >> Select an option: Over any network to update apps using either Wi-Fi or mobile data. Over Wi-Fi only to update apps only when connected to Wi-Fi.
- How to turn on or turn off automatic updates on your Fire tablet.
- Go to Settings >> Tap “Apps and Games” >> Tap “Amazon Application Settings” >> Tap “App Store” >> Tap “Automatic Updates” >> Select option to enable automatic updates.
- Why do this? The new Comixology app version will be available for download on iOS, Android and Fire OS. If you have auto-update turned on in your device settings, you do not need to take any action. Once the new app update is ready, your device will auto-download the new version. If you do not wish to have auto-updates turned on, you can go to your app store to upgrade to the new version once available. Please note, if you have a particularly large library of books, it may take a few minutes for your entire library to appear on first launch.
- If you would like to have your auto-update turned on in your device settings, here is how you can do so:
FAQ 3. Which Operating Systems (OS) does the Comixology app upgrade support?
The upgraded Comixology app will continue to be supported on iOS, Android, and Fire OS devices. Customers need to be on iOS 12, Android 5.0, and Fire OS 5.0 or higher to be able to use our current and upcoming app versions. If your OS is no longer supported, you can continue to read your Comixology books using the Kindle Cloud Reader. Click below to access the Kindle Cloud Reader in your marketplace:
FAQ 4: Will all my Comixology books be available to read on the updated app?
Once you log in to the updated Comixology app, all of your owned and borrowed books will be available to download and read. Keep in mind that if you have a large library it may take some time for all of your books to load into the new library. To login to the new Comixology app update, please make sure to merge your Comixology and Amazon account - see FAQ 8 below.
FAQ 5. Will my previously downloaded books remain downloaded?
Unfortunately, they will not. With this new app update, you will need to download any books you want to have on your device again. Once you tap download on the book you can start reading in seconds. And yes, we still support downloading to an SD card on Android and Fire OS.
Pro Tip: How to re-download multiple books:
- iOS: First, sort your Library by “Recent”, and then long press a single book. Once you have done that, tap on ‘Select Multiple Items’ and tap on the books you would like to download. You will notice that as you tap, a large check mark will appear on top of the book cover indicating it has been selected. Once you have done that, tap on ‘Actions’ in the top right corner and select ‘Download Selected’. This will trigger a download of all your selected books. Note: long pressing a series will only allow you to download the books in that series.
- Android / Fire OS: First, sort your Library by “Recent”, and then long press a single book until a large check mark appears on top of the book cover indicating it has been selected. Tap on additional books triggering the same check mark, and then select the download icon on the top right corner. This will trigger a download of all your selected books. Note: long pressing a series will only allow you to download the books in that series.
FAQ 6. Does the Comixology app still support SD card downloading on Android and Fire?
Yes, having downloads to SD cards continues to be supported! To enable this feature in the app, please go to the ‘Utilities’ page by tapping on the icon in the top right hand corner >> then go to ‘Settings’ >> then go to ‘Download Locations’ and select ‘SD card’.
FAQ 7. Will my book reading locations be saved?
Yes! The reading location data for all of your books will be saved. This means that you can pick up right where you left off on any book. In the new Comixology app, once you download and open a book it will sync to your last position read if you have Whispersync turned on under ‘Utilities’ → ‘Settings’ (check out our pro tip below!). Any book downloaded and opened will also then show up under the ‘In Progress’ filter. Please be aware that it may take some time for all of your book data to fully sync after you download and open the new app version for the first time. This includes book cover art, read/unread status, and series grouping.
Pro Tip: Enable Whispersync to sync reading locations across both Comixology and Kindle.
Make sure Whispersync is enabled! Visit this page on Amazon to make sure your “Device Synchronization (Whispersync Settings)" are turned ON.
FAQ 8. Do I need to sign back in?
Yes, once you upgrade to the new version of the Comixology app, you will need to log back in with an Amazon account.
FAQ 9. Can I use my old Comixology login credentials on the new app?
If you previously used your Amazon credentials to login to Comixology, you can continue to do so. However, if you did not use Amazon credentials on Comixology, you will need to merge your Comixology account with an Amazon account to access the new version. Click here to start your merge.
FAQ 10. Can I continue to use the older version of the Comixology app?
Our previous app and web store are no longer supported. This means you will not be able to access your library, read your comics and discover new books until you update your app.
FAQ 11. How can I shop in the new Comixology app version?
Customers in the US and UK marketplaces will be able to browse and purchase comics and manga within the new Comixology app version using the Discover page. Purchases in-app will continue to be supported in Android/Fire OS only.
Customers who live outside of the US and UK or have set their Amazon shopping region preference to outside the US or UK stores will not have a Discover experience in the new Comixology app version and will be required to make their purchases through their Amazon marketplace website. Any comics purchased through an Amazon marketplace website can be read in the Comixology app.
FAQ 12. I subscribe and borrow books through Comixology Unlimited, Kindle Unlimited, and/or Prime Reading. Will I be able to read my borrowed books in the new Comixology app version?
Yes, any books borrowed on Amazon through Comixology Unlimited, Kindle Unlimited and/or Prime Reading (Amazon Prime members can borrow comics through Prime Reading, a program benefit available to Prime customers) can be read and returned on the new Comixology app update and will appear in your Library page. Program logos are displayed for all eligible books.
Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading are available across many countries; however, Comixology Unlimited is available in the US only. UK and US customers will also be able to borrow directly from the new Comixology app update in the Discover page.
FAQ 13. Why are my previously archived books showing up again in my library?
The new Comixology app version does not currently support “archiving”. Therefore, all of your previously archived books will appear within the ‘Library’ page in the app. We understand this may be inconvenient and are continually looking for ways to make our App experience better.
FAQ 14. Where are my Smart Lists?
The new Comixology app version does not currently support Smart Lists. However, you can use sorting and filtering options in your Library page to easily find books by recency, borrows, read/unread, downloaded, in progress, and more. You can even sort by ‘Publication Date’!
Pro Tip: How to sort and filter your library:
- iOS: simply tap on ‘Library’ in the bottom navigation bar to view all of your books. Then, once in ‘Library’, you can tap on the icon (top left) to see all your filtering options. You can also tap on the icon (top right) to see all your sorting options.
- Android/Fire OS: simply tap on ‘Library’ in the bottom navigation bar to view all of your books. Then, once in ‘Library’, you can tap on the icon (top left) to see all your filtering options. You can also tap on the icon (top right) to see all your sorting options.
FAQ 15. Are there any changes to my Comixology wish list?
As part of the Comixology and Amazon Team-Up, we will be moving your Comixology wish list over to Amazon. During the rollout, customers may experience a delay in seeing their Comixology wish list. Please sit tight! You do not have to take any action as we'll be transferring those over as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience as we complete this process.
For customers in the US & UK, once we’ve successfully moved over your Comixology list, you will be able to access your list in the new app update as well as on the Amazon ‘Your Lists’ page - see here. Look for a list called “Comixology wish list”. In the meantime, you can also create new lists and view comics, manga and graphic novels added to any existing Amazon list.
For customers based outside of the US and UK, once we’ve successfully moved over your Comixology list, you will not be able to access the wish list feature in the app but can still view and manage your Comixology wish list on the Amazon website. We understand this is an inconvenience and are working to display your wish lists in app.
If your Comixology wish list does not appear by end of February, please contact customer service for further assistance.
FAQ 16. How do I find my wish lists in the updated app?
In the top right corner, tap on the icon and then tap on ‘My lists’. There you will be able to find your Comixology wish list and any other Amazon wish lists. To remove any clutter within the new Comixology app, we have filtered to only display your comics, manga and graphic novels in these lists - but have no fear, your complete wish list is in tact and can be found on the Amazon ‘Your Lists’ page - see here.
Within the app, you can also filter the ‘My List’ view per wish list by tapping on the icon on the top left corner. From the ‘Discover’ page, you can add new comics, manga and graphic novels to your wish lists and even create new lists. All of this will sync with your Amazon ‘Your Lists’ page which you can access on the Amazon website.
FAQ 17. Are there any changes to library series grouping?
Library series grouping is currently available in the US, UK, DE, JP, FR, IT, ES and CA marketplaces. For all other marketplaces, content in your Library page in the new Comixology app update will not be grouped by series. We’re working hard to bring library series grouping to more marketplaces and to ensure all series are grouping as intended.; we are working to address these known errors.
FAQ 18. Will all my books continue to support HDV?
All books purchased on Comixology prior to the launch of the Amazon-Comixology team up will remain in HDV. However, some books purchased on Amazon prior to the team up, will not have HDV. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we are working hard to replace those books with the best HDV quality available – hang tight! And rest assured, any book published with Comixology (not just new releases) will be in HDV. You can tell by the Kindle+Comixology label on the book detail page.